Friday, July 13, 2012

Screeching Halt

The plan for the "Daddy Experiment" was to pull the boys out of daycare for the summer and let them play with dad all day.  In the fall we were planning to re-evaluate whether we would send the boys back to daycare or if we would continue on with my current role of full-time dad and part-tme consultant.  We are a little less than half way through the summer and it appears that the experiment is going to meet an early conclusion.

A couple of weeks ago I got a phone call from a heavy hitter in the airline consulting business asking me if I would be interested in helping a regional airline with their major airline commercial relationships.  I did this for 11 years when I worked at Republic Airways so it is something that I am good at and something that not a lot of other "free agents" have a lot of knowledge of.  The company reached out to me a couple of days later, flew me down to meet with them, and hired me on the spot.  This is neat opportunity that I am excited about and I am going to be able to do much of the work from my home office here in Indy.

Here are some of the highlights with photos of the past couple of weeks!

The boys learned a lot of good skills while hanging out with daddy.  They have become great at helping cook, clean up, and mowing the lawn. Now that daddy is going to be working (and some of it from the home office), it looks like it will be up to me to do these chores again.


Although the Daddy Experiment is coming to an end, it doesn't mean that summer is already over.  We let the boy stay up super duper late on the 4th of July to check out the fireworks.  We went to the show up in Westfield.  Here is a picture of mommy with her sons waiting for the fireworks to start.

Track season is mostly over.  At least it's over for me as none of the athletes that I coached made it to the national meet in the events that I coached.  Since there is only 9 athletes still competing, we had our year end awards program.  Here is Kai with his training group and his coaches, Coach Jason and Coach Paul.

In the past couple of weeks, we have also been to several parks (of course traveling by bike trailer), the zoo, the golf course, swimming lessons, and karate class.

Staying home with the boys has been a huge blessing to me but I believe that it has been an even bigger deal to the boys.  They have never been able to spend this much time together and watching them bond has been amazing.  Kai is such a good big brother and Eli is very patient with Kai's demanding personality.  They hold hands whenever we go out and about and give each other hugs when the other one is sad (usually Eli hugging Kai).


Kai has been wanting to play golf every day lately.  He loved golf last year but this year when I would ask him about golf, he would tell me that he didn't want to play and that golf is boring.  For some reason, he changed his mind lately and has fallen in love with it again.  In the past, we would just have him hit a shot when daddy hit one so he would tee off with me, then pick up his ball and drop it and hit a second shot when I hit mine and so on until we got to the green and Kai would putt.  Lately, he started asking about his score and I couldn't really give him an answer so we have started having him tee off from wherever my first shot lands (or the closest tees on par 3's).  When playing this way, he gets about the same score that I do...he's pretty good (and I'm not).

So, the Daddy Experiment ends on Monday (7/16) and the part-time consultant transitions to full-time.  It is with some strong mixed emotions that we end this chapter of our lives.  Being a full-time dad was the best "job" ever and being paid with lots of hugs and kisses is so much better than money.  Although I loved the full-time dad job, I believe that at this point I am the best dad I can be when I have a good balance of professional time and daddy time.  I guess we'll find out if I'm right.

I told them, “If you think it best, give me my pay; but if not, keep it.” So they paid me thirty pieces of silver. - Zechariah 11:12

No comments: