Wednesday, March 12, 2008

On Being Mr. Mom, Shots, and Insomnia

I know what you are thinking after reading the title; "This could be an epic blog entry". You are correct, it could be and it may be, it all depends on if I get sleepy enough to try to go to sleep again.

This past weekend my parents came down to visit for a couple of days (Grandpa and Grandma Lesnet) to help us get all ready for Stephanie's first day back to work. She still has several weeks left on her maternity leave but there were a few things that she wanted to get done, so I spent Monday playing Mr. Mom. First off, I never in a million years thought that being a stay-at-home parent was easy, although I did see a lot of cool perks to the job. Perks like lots of quality time with the kids, a stress-free commute, The Price is Right, just to name a few. Anyway, on Monday I had my chance!

Stephanie has been getting in a couple of hours a day of work from home every day lately and we have Kai on a pretty good routine. Since Stephanie can get some work done from home while watching Kai, I figured that I would be able to do so as well since there really isn't much to watching an 8 week old infant (I mean they just eat, sleep, and go to the bathroom right?). I even told my boss that I would have the laptop fired up and shouldn't have any trouble working on any projects that may come up.

I was wrong! It turns out that Kai cries himself to sleep for his first nap of the day. Who knew? The comedy of errors continued until mom returned at about 3:30. Kai was then a perfect angel for the rest of the evening...a little salt in the wound.

I thought that I may have been cut out for a Mr. Mom role. Nope, at least not yet!

Today Kai had his 8 week doctor's appointment. This is the appointment where they start giving babies vaccinations. Today he received 4 vaccinations. 3 were shots that they give him on his upper thigh, and one was an oral. The oral one must have tasted decent because Kai lapped it up pretty good, but those shots were another story. He received the first one and started screaming bloody murder. The second shot was close behind and the third one would have been if not for the nurses error. The nurse broke the syringe and had to go and get a new one for the final shot. It took me quite a while to get him calmed down a little. She then returned to give him that 3rd one...ugh! We were warned that he would probably be very fussy after his shots and he was. He whimpered and cried from the time we left the doctor's office until 9:30 tonight.

As for my insomnia, I think that this epic blog post is helping to cure it. I hope all of you blog readers are doing well!

GOOD NIGHT AND STAY CLASSY!

No comments: