Friday, June 1, 2012

Four Days Makes One Week!

The nice thing about starting a new thing during the week of Memorial Day is that you only have to do it for four days instead of the usual five.  It is now Friday night and the whole family is in bed except me as I sit down to chronicle the last day of our first successful week for The Daddy Experiment!

Today started off with a little more crying than usual as the boys are getting tired from the extra action packed days that dad is planning for them.  I'm not the most sympathetic soul so I just let them cry it out and go about doing what needs to be done (I'm not heartless though, I do ask what's wrong and give hugs).  After all, Fridays are big days as they are grocery day and lawn mowing day so there isn't a lot of extra time for coddling youngsters.  The morning also started off with Eli taking a dry erase marker to our sofa.

So, breakfast then a trip to the grocery.  The grocery store is always an adventure and I have always been in awe of the parent who's kids are well behaved and quiet in a store.  This trip was no different as Kai and Eli wanted to take different types of shopping carts.  Kai wanted to take the standard type of cart so he could sit in the basket and help me put the groceries in it while Eli wanted to ride in the cart with the car in the front.  I let Eli choose the cart this time and that brought on the fireworks!  Kai erupted there in the produce section of Kroger and was pretty much inconsolable.  At that point, I told Kai that we were going to try this later, put our apples and bananas back and started for the exit.  He calmed down pretty quickly after that and we went about our shopping.

After the grocery, we went home, put the groceries away, had a quick snack, then hit to open road on the bike...well, we went for a quick spin around the neighborhood.  It was unseasonably cold today with a high of about 55 or so with high winds and some misting.

Lunch was some sausage that I had bought from the store.  I bought one of those one pound sausage rolls and fried up about 2/3 of it for lunch.  That was not enough, so I fried up the last third and they ate that up too along with sides of bread and fruit.  Wow, if these boys eat like this at four and one, I'm really going to be hurting when they are 15 and 12.  Note to self, put sausage on the shopping list and buy several packages.

Play time and then nap...really short naps...naps that make for grouchy and irritable children.  Also jacks with daddy's schedule as I've got stuff to do during that time (like catching up on my daytime TV).  Oh well, bundle everyone up and let them play while daddy does manly stuff like mowing the lawn. 

Next up is another bike ride to the local Dillon Park to play at their playground.  Eli loves their giant twisty slide and always amazes folks with his bravery there.  We stayed at the park until mom came home.  I'm so glad I don't have to be "professional dad" for a couple of days and I can just be plain ordinary dad while the wife is around.

So, there is the last day of my first week (sort of) of The Daddy Experiment.  Everyone made it through pretty well and Kai has already asked if summer can last until his birthday (in January).  I'm not too sure about that but after 4 days in, I have to say that this is going smoother than I thought.

Well, off to enjoy the weekend, tune back in next week for more installments of The Daddy Experiment!

No comments: