Tuesday, June 19, 2012

I'm Too Old For This Stuff

Some of you older readers may recall Danny Glover starring in Lethal Weapon as Roger Murtaugh where he says (more than once), "I'm too old for this $#!*".  Well today Mr. Murtaugh, I feel your pain...literally.  It's 1:00 in the morning and I can't sleep; I've got a fever, my legs are just short of cramping, and my tummy is really angry at me for gulping down a Blooming Onion on Sunday evening.

So...what did I do that has me repeating movie lines from Roger Murtaugh?  Well, my day went a little something like this:

Wake up call from 20 month old Eli at 7:15 in the morning, then Kai up at 7:45.  Breakfast and play time until 9:30.  Followed by a quick snack then a bike ride (rickshaw style with both boys in the bike trailer) down to Founder's Park in Carmel which is a 10 mile round trip.  We got back from the park about noon and had some lunch, Eli went down for a nap around 12:30 (put him out of his misery really, he was wiped out).  Eli napped from 12:30 - 2 while Kai played semi-quietly in his room.  Up at 2, got a snack then off to the neighborhood pool (via bicycle) for a relaxing dip on a 90+ degree and very windy day.  Back from the pool about 3:45 because Eli filled up his swim diaper at the pool and Super Dad was unprepared to change it at the pool house.

At 4:00, Stephanie and I closed on our house for like the 1,000th time as we refinanced.  We have a 10 year note now...awesome!!

After closing was over it was dinner time and then off to track practice which starts at 6:00.  I haven't mentioned it on this blog but I coach hurdles and jumps for Body In Training Track club here in Noblesville.  Body in Training is a faith-based track club with athletes ranging from 5-18.  Although I am ancient and it's been a while since my track "stud" days at Purdue, I do the workouts with the athletes so that they can see what they are supposed to do and I can get a little workout in myself.  Today's workout was a sprint drill and hurdle drill warm-up followed by several four-step down / backs, three step work, some hurdle work through the curves, followed by a couple of laps of speed makers.  All of that coupled with the high heat today and I was the only one walking well at the end of it...I really put the kids through it today but they all got better too.

When I got home, Kai wanted to go for a bike ride on his bike down to a tunnel that is about a mile away.  He got a new bike helmet that he loves (its green) so he is totally in love with riding his bike now.  He rides very quickly but he is a little afraid down hills so he needs me to grab his bike when we go down hills.  Our current set up is that rides his bike super fast and I run a little behind him.  Of course, he's 4 so he changes speed a lot, good interval training for the old man...and I AM too old for this...

Tomorrow is another day and the boys have already asked about bike rides and going to the pool.  We'll see how daddy is doing, it may be a library and play in the backyard kind of day.

Stand up in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God. I am the LORD. - Leviticus 19:32

No comments: