Monday, June 4, 2012

Momma Said There'd Be Days Like This - Day 5

The first four days of The Daddy Experiment were a breeze and I was feeling pretty good about this summer.  I even said that this stay at home thing was pretty simple but I knew that everything was new and that tougher days would be coming...well, those tougher days wasted no time and arrived here on day five.

This morning started earlier than I had hoped with Eli waking up on the wrong side of the bed at about 7:15.  I got Eli dressed and fed him some breakfast then went up to wake Kai up at about 7:45.  Kai woke up on the correct side of the bed but was too excited about going fishing today and we weren't getting to the pond fast enough for him.

Eli didn't take a very good nap yesterday and didn't sleep very long last night.  His ear is draining a lot and his nose is running constantly.  He was due for a rough day and he let me (and Kai) have it!  He just cried all morning long.  He wanted to be picked up and then he wanted to be put down then he wanted to be picked up and then put down when, none of it stopped his crying...it was a loud morning.  Although Kai us usually very helpful he wasn't as patient as usual as he really wanted to go fishing and we weren't fishing and we weren't making any progress toward fishing and we weren't talking about fishing so he kept asking about fishing.

The boys eat lunch at 11:00 and pretty much as soon as lunch was over I put Eli down for an early nap.  He didn't fight it and Kai was excited because we could finally start getting the fishing stuff ready.  We went worm hunting in the back yard and got the fishing poles that Grandpa and Grandma Eridon got him for Christmas all ready to go.

Once the fishing gear was ready and the worms were in the fridge, Kai was fine with taking a nap.  I got Kai upstairs, tucked him in and Eli woke up.  No problem except the only thing Eli wanted to do was play with Kai so he just screamed for Kai for about an hour (good thing our oldest is a sound sleeper), he also dropped a major deuce which could have been some of the cause of his irritability.  After he was all cleaned up, I finally let him go wake his big bro.

Its about 2:30 now and its time to go fishing.  We get everything together, hook up the bike trailer, and head to the neighborhood pond.  As we arrive, you can literally see fish jumping out of the water...cool!

We park the bike and head down by the pond, as I start to get Kai's hook baited I look up and see Eli running in the opposite direction.  Darn!  I run and bring him back, disaster averted!  I then get the worm on the hook and we cast the pole and we immediately get a hit.  A nice little five inch blue gill. We cast again and get another blue gill, but this one swallowed the hook.  I forget that I'm a dad for a moment and go in to surgeon mode and try to get the hook out.  While I'm not looking, Eli decided that the water looked warm and inviting so he jumped right in. 

The water was warm and I was smart enough to bring a couple of towels so I took off Eli's shoes, gave him a quick scrub in the pond and set him on another blanket so I could console my oldest who thinks his fishing time is over...see Eli didn't have shoes on any longer and he really dislikes the feel of grass on his feet so he wasn't leaving that towel no how no way!

So, we cast and catch a couple more fish and make my four year old the happiest little boy in the neighborhood today.


After fishing, we went home to put our things away and took a bike ride to the local park for a little play time.  Then mommy came home and daddy went to track practice.

Today got off to a rough start and was very exhausting.  It could have been much worse but it was a good wake up call that being a full-time parent isn't all fun and games (with some laundry mixed in) and that there are days when it is a difficult job.  I'm sure that there will be more difficult days in the future so I'm glad that today was a bit of a dry run for a tough day and I will be better prepared for the next one.

Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. - Deuteronomy 30:11



No comments: