Friday, June 15, 2012

Still Riding With Training Wheels

For those of you following the Daddy Experiment, today nearly marks the completion of 3 weeks of full-time parenthood.  Although it has been 3 weeks, I have yet to work a complete week by myself.

The first week was Memorial Day week where my lovely wife was home on Monday so week #1 was a mere four days.  The second week was even shorter as I took my father-in-law to Cooperstown, NY to visit the Baseball Hall of Fame so I only "worked" for two days by myself.  This week has also been an easier week as Stephanie took Monday off of work, so another four day "work" week.

So, a day after my last post and my last day of my "work week" the boys and I had a pretty awesome day.  Everyone behaved well and we stayed very busy.  Stephanie forgot some papers at home so the boys and I took a road trip down to see her and all of her co-workers.  Then lunch and nap then a rickshaw ride down to Founder's Park in Carmel.  Founder's Park is sweet with a ginormous sandbox and some cool climbers.

Here is a shot of Kai and Eli playing in the sand at their new favorite park.

On Tuesday evening, Kai really wanted to go fishing again but this time without Eli since Eli likes to go in to the pond and cut our fishing trips a little short.  We caught a lot of fish but Kai really liked the super tiny ones.  The one he's holding in this picture was the smallest one that he caught.

For Grandpa Eridon's Christmas / birthday we decided that he needed a trip to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY.  I planned our itinerary and Grandpa's twin brother booked the hotel rooms and we took off for Cooperstown to cross a big item off of Grandpa's "bucket list" (it was on mine too but this trip was about him and not me :) ).

To make the trip even more epic, we stopped in Erie, PA to see the Erie SeaWolves (Detroit's AA affiliate) play and in Syracuse, NY to see the Syracuse Sky Chiefs play.  We splurged for the best seats in the house and enjoyed watching some future big leaguers perfect their craft.

Here is Kit with C. Wolf, the Erie SeaWolves' mascot.

Here Kit and I are with Scootch and Pops, the mascots of the Sky Chiefs of Syracuse.  At this game we saw a pitcher go yard and a grand slam.  It looks like the Nationals have some good young talent in their farm system.

We had lunch at the Cooperstown Diner.  This place is just as small as it looks but it was AWESOME.  I had a 13 oz cheeseburger.  Love!

Here is Kit and I at the entrance to the Hall.  That cheesy grin was on both of our faces all day long.



Kit and Kris at the Birthplace of Baseball.  This stadium was really cool.


After our great trip to the Hall, the father-in-law caught some nasty stomach bug so I drove the entire way back from Syracuse to Bowling Green, Ohio.  After a short stop at the in-laws, I continued the trek back to Central Indiana with Stephanie and the boys.  In total, a 650 mile day of driving.

On Monday we all slept in a little bit and Stephanie took the day off of work.  Kai has swim lessons this week with the Noblesville Swim Club so we did that then spent the rest of the day getting re-acquainted with being home.

Tuesday brought reality back and the training wheels came off of the Daddy Experiment.  We have had a great week with picnic lunches every day after swim lessons, a rickshaw ride to visit some friends, and a friendly track meet with the Westfield Track Club.

We also fit in a trip to Wal-Mart to pick up a few things and check out super hero toys.  Kai really likes the Avengers, especially Ironman and Captain America.  I like The Hulk but Kai says that I play too rough when I'm Hulk and he wants me to be Ironman.

Here is Eli after our picnic and Potter's Bridge Park.  Happy boy!


The boys are loving The Daddy Experiment so far.  They really enjoy all of the time that they get to play together and all of the cool stuff we do most days.  They are super tired at nap times and bed time and they really get their money's worth at those times.

Because you are his sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, “Abba, Father.” - Galatians 4:6


No comments: